Photo: Eric Ambler / Contributed Photo
CLINTON — Residents are invited to support Adam Stanton House and General Store by attending a Benefit Night, sponsored by Scottish Dave’s Pub at 24 East Main St., Clinton. The event at the publ will be held Jan. 26 at 5 p.m.
Tickets are $10 at the door. Attendees can enjoy live music by the Corby’s, bagpipers, raffle prizes and an appetizer buffet. Reservations are not required. For more information e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.adamstantonhouse.org
Residents warned of CO danger
KILLINGWORTH — With cold weather approaching, Paul Hutcheon, Director of Health, Town of Killingworth, and the Killingworth Health Department reminds all residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) and encourages residents to have their heating systems serviced and carbon monoxide detectors installed in their homes. Residents are also warned against the improper use of portable generators during power outages. Improper use of portable generators and charcoal grills lead to hospitalizations and deaths each year
According to the state Health Department, every winter in Connecticut, hundreds of residents are taken to the emergency department and some are hospitalized and even die from CO poisoning resulting from malfunctioning furnaces, improperly placed portable generators and indoor use of charcoal grills. Residents can take preventive measures such as having their furnace serviced annually, installing a CO detector near all sleeping areas, replacing the batteries annually, and placing portable generators well away from the house to prevent CO poisonings.
CO is an invisible odorless gas that can be fatal and forms when fuels do not burn completely.
Breathing CO can deprive the body of oxygen, and may lead to illness, unconsciousness and death. Often times, CO detectors are the only way to know that the deadly gas is present. CO detectors should be installed near all sleeping areas in a home to alert occupants of the presence of CO.
To prevent CO poisoning, portable generators should be placed at least 20 feet from the home and should never be used in enclosed spaces such as porches, carports, garages and basements, even with open windows and doors. Opening windows and doors and using fans is not sufficient to prevent the build-up of deadly levels of carbon monoxide.
The symptoms of CO poisoning mimic those of the flu, including headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, or loss of consciousness. If several members of a household experience these symptoms when they are home, but feel better when they are away from the home, there may be a CO problem.
The following safety tips are offered to prevent CO poisoning:
Install a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home and outside of each bedroom.
Install new batteries at least once a year and replace detectors every five years as the sensors degrade.
Have heating systems, chimney flues, gas appliances and generators checked every year, and cleaned and serviced as needed by qualified heating/appliance contractors.
Never use portable generators, pressure washer engines, or other gasoline-powered equipment (including tools) inside your home, garage, carport, basement or other enclosed spaces. Be sure to place portable generators at least 20 feet from your home.
Use gasoline-powered equipment outside and away from doors, windows or air intake vents.
Use grilling apparatus such as charcoal or gas grills outdoors only.
Opening windows and doors, and operating fans is not sufficient to prevent buildup of CO in a home.
Check that gas dryer vents and automobile tail pipes are not plugged up with snow.
Make sure the exhaust pipe on your standby generator is pointing away from the house.
Get out of the house and seek medical help immediately if you or a family member has unexplained/sudden onset of symptoms of CO poisoning. Symptoms include headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, and loss of consciousness.
Call 911 from a cell phone or neighbor’s home and the Connecticut Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning and prevention, contact:
CT DPH Environmental & Occupational Health Assessment Program, www.ct.gov/dph/co 860-509-7740
Connecticut Poison Control Center http://poisoncontrol.uchc.edu 800-222-1222
Consumer Product Safety Commission http://www.cpsc.gov
To reach Paul Hutcheon, Director of Health, Town of Killingworth,, email email@example.com or call 860-663-1765, x223.
Students can apply for environmental leadership scholarship
MIDDLETOWN- Applications are now being accepted for the Virginia R. Rollefson Environmental Leadership Scholarship, a $1,000 award to recognize leadership and initiative by a high school junior or senior residing in Middlesex County, Lyme, or Old Lyme for participation in a program, project, or activity that benefits preservation, conservation, restoration or environmental education.
The scholarship is presented by The Rockfall Foundation. Applications must be submitted by March 1. The scholarship is named in honor of former Executive Director of The Rockfall Foundation, Virginia R. “Ginny” Rollefson, who retired in 2010 after 24 years with the Foundation. The award honors her long service to the Foundation, her enthusiasm, and her belief that we all benefit when young people are actively engaged in making their communities a better place to live. For a copy of the application and more information, visit www.rockfallfoundation.org or call 860-347-0340.
Founded in 1935 by Middletown philanthropist Clarence S. Wadsworth, The Rockfall Foundation is one of Connecticut’s oldest environmental organizations. The Foundation supports environmental education, conservation and planning initiatives in the Lower Connecticut River Valley through public programs and grants. In addition, the Rockfall Foundation operates the historic deKoven House Community Center that offers meeting and event room rentals and office space for non-profit organizations.
For additional information about the Virginia R. Rollefson Environmental Leadership Scholarship or The Rockfall Foundation, visit www.rockfallfoundation.org or call 860-347-0340.
Charity bowling event set
CROMWELL — The DeSoto Council #6 of the Knights of Columbus in Cromwell is hosting a bowling fundraiser to benefit the Cromwell Food Bank, Feb. 16, 12-3 p.m. The event will be held at Bowl-O-Rama in Newington.
Fee is $20 per bowler, $10 for children 12 and under, includes 2 games, shoes, pizza & soda. Prizes and raffles as well.
Advance registration is preferred. Visit www.cromwellkofc.com/charitybowl.htm for registration details. Inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.